Friday, July 29, 2011

Jamber's Island

My amazing friend Amber, who's currently in Sierra Leone helping rid Africa of Polio and Cholera,

Check out her blog, Jamboree in Africa

recently sent an e-mail posing the question: "Name the ten albums you would want to have with you on a desert island?"  Not one to pass up an opportunity to rattle off my favorite music, I responded as follows:  

I'm a big believer in the integrity of complete albums, conceptualized or otherwise.  So, rather than try to list my favorites, I decided to pick a mix with enough variety to pass the time from my arrival on the deserted island to my inevitable death from starvation/exposure. 
Here's an annotated draft of the sound I'd bring with:

Blonde on Blonde - Dylan 
Hard Rain - Dylan
Gotta have my Dylan fix.  These cover my two favorite eras of his career.




Quadrophenia - The Who
The story/themes in this rock opera are as heavy as in any novel.  The sound ain't so bad either.



Transformer - Lou Reed
It would be poetic to have Perfect Day blaring when I'm in my starvation induced death throes.  Also, the Bowie background vocals/playing sprinkled throughout this gem makes it a two-for-one Lou/David combo. 

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
This will be especially mind-altering when I'm sick from sun poisoning.

Live at the Whiskey a Go Go - Otis Redding
The greatest soul singer to ever live at his finest.



My Morning Jacket - Okonosos
This record rocks hard.  MMJ is one of my favorite contemporary bands.




Live at the Star Club, Hamburg - Jerry Lee Lewis
Because nobody follows the killer. 




The Last Waltz - The Band & Friends
This gives me all of The Band's greatest hits, coupled with a ton of guest artists who otherwise wouldn't make the island (Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Neil Young, ect.)




Darkness at the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
Because, from a man's perspective, Prove It All Night is one of the sexiest(?) songs ever written; and i'll need something to set the mood with the bevy of gorgeous women i select to live on my island with me. 


*    This is an arbitrary list, governed by the whim of the author. 
**  Thanks, Amber, for a great TOTD.  Stay safe.
*** Amber's list:

(No particular order and subject to change as soon as I hit send and realize that I forgot an album)


1. Led Zeppelin- 4th album
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced? (Preferably the 1997 MCA reissue)
3. The Allman Brothers Band- Eat a Peach (Preferably the 2006 Deluxe Edition)
4. Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company- Live at Winterland '68
5. Johnny Cash- I Walk the Line
6. Fugees- The Score
7. Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
8. Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits 1967 album
9. Rilo Kiley- More Adventurous
10. Old Crow Medicine Show- Big Iron World


*Don't judge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment