Friday, July 29, 2011

Jamber's Island

My amazing friend Amber, who's currently in Sierra Leone helping rid Africa of Polio and Cholera,

Check out her blogJamboree in Africa

recently sent an e-mail posing the question: "Name the ten albums you would want to have with you on a desert island?"  Not one to pass up an opportunity to rattle off my favorite music, I responded as follows:  

I'm a big believer in the integrity of complete albums, conceptualized or otherwise.  So, rather than try to list my favorites, I decided to pick a mix with enough variety to pass the time from my arrival on the deserted island to my inevitable death from starvation/exposure. 
Here's an annotated draft of the sound I'd bring with:

Blonde on Blonde - Dylan 
Hard Rain - Dylan
Gotta have my Dylan fix.  These cover my two favorite eras of his career.




Quadrophenia - The Who
The story/themes in this rock opera are as heavy as in any novel.  The sound ain't so bad either.



Transformer - Lou Reed
It would be poetic to have Perfect Day blaring when I'm in my starvation induced death throes.  Also, the Bowie background vocals/playing sprinkled throughout this gem makes it a two-for-one Lou/David combo. 

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
This will be especially mind-altering when I'm sick from sun poisoning.

Live at the Whiskey a Go Go - Otis Redding
The greatest soul singer to ever live at his finest.



My Morning Jacket - Okonosos
This record rocks hard.  MMJ is one of my favorite contemporary bands.




Live at the Star Club, Hamburg - Jerry Lee Lewis
Because nobody follows the killer. 




The Last Waltz - The Band & Friends
This gives me all of The Band's greatest hits, coupled with a ton of guest artists who otherwise wouldn't make the island (Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Neil Young, ect.)




Darkness at the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
Because, from a man's perspective, Prove It All Night is one of the sexiest(?) songs ever written; and i'll need something to set the mood with the bevy of gorgeous women i select to live on my island with me. 


*    This is an arbitrary list, governed by the whim of the author. 
**  Thanks, Amber, for a great TOTD.  Stay safe.
*** Amber's list:

(No particular order and subject to change as soon as I hit send and realize that I forgot an album)


1. Led Zeppelin- 4th album
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced? (Preferably the 1997 MCA reissue)
3. The Allman Brothers Band- Eat a Peach (Preferably the 2006 Deluxe Edition)
4. Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company- Live at Winterland '68
5. Johnny Cash- I Walk the Line
6. Fugees- The Score
7. Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
8. Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits 1967 album
9. Rilo Kiley- More Adventurous
10. Old Crow Medicine Show- Big Iron World


*Don't judge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment